Monday 22 February 2016

Time to start my Firewatch


 "I was waiting for the twist and it just never came"

5/10

So I heard about this game on its E3 demo, loved the art design and potential awesome story got me excited from the very beggining.  So before I start my thoughts on this I have started streaming it and got most of the way through but my lovely lady had finished it so I have found out the ending, which prompted me to write this up.
The game sets the mood to start with quite effectivly, the art style even though is cartoony feels very real, effective and imersive.  You play as Henry who has a tragic start to the game and applys to be a firewatch employee to get some quiet contemplation.  This is where the game introduces you to Delilah and the story slowly gains pace which also gives you a moment to get used to your surroundings.


 

 The game does start slowly which I didnt mind, the actual world was beautifully crafted and the feel of isolation really sets the mood.  You really do feel alone and the game does make you feel vaunerable so when the creepy goings on start to kick in it really does have the desired effect.  Which is great story telling and something that you woud expect from a story game.



 

However the game starts gaining pace and the theories of what is going on will drive you mad.  I went from me/Henry is actually insane and imagining it to, its a conspiracy of scientists testing human emotion under duress.  So for this the game really shines but its also the big slap in the face, what happened to the story?  
Its like they had a huge underlying plot, I was waiting for the twist and it just never came.  Just as suddenly as the game gained pace it said here you go, heres the story and game over.  The ending to story was in fact very underwhelming and left me and my lady feeling a little ripped off.  This was more like an episode rather than a game and even though it was charged at just under fifteen pounds that didnt make you feel any less ripped off.  After all you can get walking dead series for about the same price!  There is not even a platinum trophy to make you want to have another go in order to trophy hunt.


 

In reality for me this is another wasted potential game, great mood, great art design, amazing acting that will make you laugh and gasp but ultimatly cut short.  A major disapointment that seems it was rushed out the door rather than reaching the amazing hight it really could of done.  

I have streamed the game and will continue to do so until the ending so if you would like a look please visit here and let me know your thoughts.

Signing off for now Grumpy Gamer yet again a little grumpy

No comments:

Post a Comment